Prevent ‘Holiday Fridge’ in your Office
Prevent the ‘Holiday Fridge’ From Becoming a Biohazard
When people start leaving for the holidays, your communal refrigerator can quickly becomes a biohazard if some steps aren’t taken to prevent it. How often have you looked into the office fridge post holiday party to find a Jenga of foil cartons threatening to tumble and assorted sundries left behind after the merriment si over? The danger (not to mention the smell) of the three-week-old salmon and the platters of party goodies that no one took with them in the haste to start their holidays can quickly become ideal hosts for molds and other unpleasantness. If you ignore this problem your office fridge may become the worst smelling thing in the office. The trick to solving this all to common problem, is getting employees to take responsibility for the week old Chinese or half finished soda. The most effective solution, we have found, is to create a regularly cleaning schedule so that anything that isn’t claimed within a certain time period is disposed of before it can become a problem. This eliminates any risks associated with leaving food in the fridge for too long and gives cleaners an opportunity to deep clean and minimize odors.
The Office Kitchen and fridge is a battlefield where bacteria claim rotten victory. It might look innocent to us, especially if it’s covered with cheery magnets and goofy cartoons but as many a traumatized desk jockey can attest, that shiny door can be a portal into a dietary temple of doom. Many of us have a few horror stories to share about office refrigerators. Tales of fuzzy and fermented foods are common, and unfortunately so are incidences of employees becoming sick from eating foods at work.
You probably keep your refrigerator at home clean, but the office refrigerator may be a problem because it’s typically a shared responsibility. Here are some tips that may help.
Keep it at a safe temperature — 40 °F or lower
• Refrigeration slows bacterial growth. Bacteria exist everywhere in nature. They are in the soil, air, water, and the foods we eat. When they have nutrients (food), moisture, and favorable temperatures, they grow rapidly, increasing in numbers to the point where some types of bacteria can cause illness.
• Bacteria grow most rapidly in the range of temperatures between 40 and 140 °F, the “Danger Zone,” some doubling in number in as little as 20 minutes. A refrigerator set at 40 °F or below will protect most foods.
Share the responsibility
• Do you feel like you are the only one concerned about the cleanliness of the refrigerator? Make it a food safety issue! Not everyone may realize the importance of keeping all food contact surfaces, like the refrigerator, clean. Because bacteria are everywhere, cleanliness is a major factor in preventing food borne illness.
Keep it clean
• If your office doesn’t already have a schedule for cleaning, why not make it a habit to throw out perishable foods left in the refrigerator at least once a week? A general rule of thumb for refrigerator storage for cooked leftovers is 4 days.
• Wipe up spills immediately before they turn into a major cleaning job. Clean surfaces thoroughly with hot, soapy water; then rinse.
• To keep the refrigerator smelling fresh and help eliminate odors, place an opened box of baking soda on a shelf. Avoid using solvent cleaning agents, abrasives, and all cleansers that may impart a chemical taste to food or ice cubes, or cause damage to the interior finish of the refrigerator. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Dirty office fridges can cause illness. Get someone to check or clean yours out!
Recent study proves that 44 per cent of office fridges get cleaned out once a month and 22 per cent only once or twice in a year. So, that ancient fish sandwich is putting the salmon in salmonella. It is recommended to schedule your cleaning company clean that fridge out every week, and warn that anything left behind will be tossed. Today top cleaning companies consult with their clients to provide a healthy work environment. Afterall, a dirty fridge can mean time off as food poising can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to recover from.
A healthy office means a steady increase in the output performance by its employees. Proper office cleaning means that the cleaning personnel are there when and where they are needed. The personnel should know the proper products to use in each section of the office or building, for each section may have different needs.
Universal Cleaners Inc is a locally owned and operated Professional Cleaning Service known for providing top-of-the-line cleaning services for businesses all around the Greater Hamilton Area with additional offices in Windsor and Binbrook. Our crew has a genuine drive to provide a better service over our competition. We have spent countless hours researching the best cleaning products, equipment, and techniques to ensure quality with every service for your utmost satisfaction. At our company, we understand that our success is anchored in an extreme commitment to our customers and is backed with top-notch employees. We pride ourselves on being creative and flexible with every unique project to avoid the cookie cutter mentality.